Baltimore United Methodist Church was organized about the year 1866 or 1867. The church was organized with some fifteen or twenty members. The first services were conducted under a brush arbor. In 1867, a log church was built. On November 27, 1888, it was decided to build a new church. This is the building which stands at the present time, although it has undergone extensive remodeling and has had many additions through the years.
In 1888, a church was established at Stony Knoll. Baltimore Church might well be called the “mother” of Stony Knoll for perhaps a majority of her members were once sheep of our fold.
In 1916, it was decided to move the church to another site to give more room for the cemetery, and also to remodel the building. The land where the church first stood was given by H. N. Doub. The last site was given by the H. N. Doub heirs.
In 1934, it was decided to build Sunday school rooms. The foundation was laid on April 22, 1935. In 1936, the building was erected.
Prior to the 1941, Baltimore was in the West Forsyth Charge with the parsonage at Dosier in Forsyth County. After the merging of the Methodists, the East Bend Charge was made up of nine churches: Baltimore, East Bend, New Home, Stony Knoll, Prospect, Macedonia, Mt. Pleasant, Shady Grove and Union Hill. The parsonage was located in East Bend.
In 1944, the charge was again divided. A portion of the pastor’s report to the Third Quarterly conference, held at Mt. Pleasant Church on July 20, 1944, reads as follows: “We have the East Bend Church about finished and hope to start on the parsonage at Smithtown right soon,” (G. A. Hovis). After this division, the East Bend Charge was made up of five churches: Baltimore, East Bend, Stony Knoll, Union Hill and Macedonia. These churches made up the charge until July 1, 1953, when the Macedonia Memorial Association was approved by Dr. Rozzell, the first District Superintendent. From this time Macedonia was declared inactive and the charge has been made up of the remaining four churches.
In 1848, it was decided to improve the cemetery and church grounds. In 1952, a desire for a more beautiful and comfortable interior caused the members of Baltimore once more to embark on a remodeling program. In 1956, Baltimore was again feeling growing pains. The addition to the church included two large classrooms on the ground level and a large basement which was to be used for a classroom as well as for the kitchen-dining area. Running water was installed, both hot and cold, for use in the new kitchen and for the newly installed rest rooms.
In 1959, the congregation approved the purchase of a Hammond Console Organ. In 1961, the front entrance of the church was remodeled when the double doors in the center replaced the doors on each side. A new parsonage was nearing completion in April, 1961.
In 1966, again Baltimore felt the need of additional space. Plans were made to add classrooms and a fellowship hall and on April 9, 1966, excavation was begun, making space for these additions available underneath the sanctuary and the old classrooms. A new, more modern and convenient kitchen was added to replace the old one. Space was also made available for four new classrooms. Many members gave of their time and talent by helping with the excavation, grading, wiring, heating, plumbing and painting.
In February, 1967, a drive was made around the cemetery adding much to the beauty of the grounds and making it more convenient for visitors.
Remodeling again in 1980’s
In 2001, Baltimore United Methodist Church left the East Bend Charge to become a station church. A new parsonage was purchased in East Bend to provide housing for the new pastor.
In 2018, Baltimore United Methodist Church added a large fellowship has to house 250 people, a new commercial kitchen, two classrooms, two offices and two bathrooms.
Copyright © 2021 Baltimore UMC - All Rights Reserved.